Choosing the best natural toothpaste can be overwhelming with all the choices out there. Boka believes in making more effective products with safer ingredients to have a positive impact on preventive health. Our kinds of toothpaste are vegan (dairy-free) and gluten-free. The ingredients are clearly listed on the website.
Our mission is to cut through the confusion and reveal how simple oral health care can really be with the right products.
To help reduce the confusion of choosing the right toothpaste we have done extensive research and have answers to the many questions you may have. Check out our FAQs below.
What's in your toothpaste
- Boka offers the first non-toxic, natural toothpaste with science-backed ingredients that outperform fluoride.
- Our toothpaste is made with natural ingredients and essential oils. It contains no sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), fluoride, triclosan, artificial flavors, or parabens.
- Boka toothpaste also contains 2% n-HA (Nano Hydroxyapatite).
- There is no specific expiration date, but Boka advises that toothpaste be used within 2 years of purchase due to the natural ingredients.
- It is recommended to store our toothpaste at ambient temperatures if possible. Our products have been tested to withstand three cycles of Freeze/Thaw as well as high heat conditions of 40C (104F).
- The QIL for the Nano-Hap toothpaste was replaced with Actiplex with CO Extract Blend N37511-WS. The IL does not change, with the exception of marking ingredients as organic. Since our products are not organic certified, Boka does not have to update IL to denote organic.
Relative Dentin Abrasion (RDA) Rating
- We estimate it is under 50, but there has not been any official testing for this.
- There is 2% of nHA (Nano Hydroxyapatite.)
- There is evidence that Sodium Benzoate reacts with Vitamin C to create Benzene, but that is a reaction for those two pure compounds. There are low levels of Sodium Benzoate and no Vitamin C in the formula that would cause a reaction. There is no current evidence to show that this reaction would happen within the body if a person was taking Vitamin C supplements. If using the toothpaste as directed the Sodium Benzoate would be extremely diluted even if swallowed.
- There is no Xylitol in the Ginger Coconut, there is 1% in the Nano-Hap Toothpaste.
- Our supplier documentation only states “synthetic” and that is all they will provide.
- The Glycerin is GMO-Free. Sodium benzoate is included in the formula as a preservative to prevent the growth of bacteria, yeast, and mold. It is safe for use as a preservative in cosmetic products, including toothpaste. There are some countries that put concentration limits on it, but we are within those limits.
- If there is sorbitol in the ingredients this will be listed. A full and accurate list is provided for each product.
- Phenoxyethanol isn't an ingredient added to the toothpaste. This is a mixture of the extracts of cucumber, avocado, mango, and green tea. They are not directly added but present as part of the composition of the flavor and extracts for the Orange Cream Space Paste.
n-HAP and nano-calcite compare in remineralization performance
- Here is a summary of this research that can be found by clicking here.